Wednesday, May 13, 2009

MEET MISS BOTSWANA 2009


THE FAIREST OF THEM ALL

Quote for cover page: “I didn’t sleep with anyone to win Miss Botswana. I guess the judges chose me and that’s that.”

And the winner was …….. Sumaiyah Marope!
Amongst the shrieks of excitement and applause came the usual gasps of wonder and theories of conspiracy. The Miss Botswana pageant is never without controversy, and this year was no exception.
But the bottom line was that Sumaiyah was the unanimous choice of the five judges, which included two of our best celeb exports, Kaone Kario and DJ Fresh, and if the contest proved anything, it is that there are a lot of really hot local beauties out there.
The 22-year-old student from Ramotswa beat thirteen other stunning ladies to clinch the coveted Miss Botswana 2009 crown in a glittering event held at Gaborone International Convention Centre (GICC) last Saturday.
She drove away in a stylish Black Mercedes Benz C200 Kompressor worth P300 000 as her main prize, together with a year’s supply of fuel courtesy of BP and a P50 000 school bursary from the pageant organizers.
MOSES MARUPING caught up with the newly crowned queen to find out more about the lady who last week launched herself on the unsuspecting public.

Congratulations on being crowned Miss Botswana 2009. Tell us about it.
Thanks - I’m really proud of the achievement, and I pinch myself every now and then just to make sure I’m not dreaming. I’m completely overwhelmed, and still in a state of shock. During the contest I just tried to stay focused. I kept telling myself, Sumaiyah you can clinch this title, just keep going and strive for the best. I know many are saying, ‘but she’s Muslim, and it’s against their religion,’ but my family gave me the permission and supported me to participate in the pageant. So I sincerely believe that with their blessing I was doing nothing wrong, and there was nothing to stop me.

How did you prepare for the pageant?
The preparations for Miss Botswana were not so hectic, but we had to prepare fully by working out and taking some choreography lessons. It was a big challenge.
Have you participated in beauty contests before?
Yes, many times. I’m the former Miss European Union 2004 as well as Miss Fresher’s Ball 2007 at Taletso College where I was studying in Lehurutshe.
Were you nervous?
Honestly speaking I experienced stage fright throughout the entire show. It took all my inner strength just to keep myself focused. Without this I would have been a nervous wreck and done everything wrong.
What do you say to the usual rumour doing the rounds that contest was fixed. Some are even saying a lot of girls were prettier than you and suggest that you must have slept with someone to secure yourself this title?
I always say people will do anything to bring you down. Rumours will always be rumours. I didn’t sleep with anyone to win Miss Botswana. I guess the judges chose me and that’s that.
So what’s it like to be the proud owner of a P300 000 set of wheels?
I still can’t believe I own that car. It’s a good feeling. As a young person I didn’t believe I would get my first car for a few years yet, and now to have a car of this magnitude is a great gift from above.
I still haven’t come up with plans on where I shall be driving to and when, but whenever I do I will give you a lift. Ha-ha!
Another thing is that although I know how to drive I still haven’t secured myself a driver’s license. I guess I should call prospective chauffeurs for an interview.
And the P50 000 school bursary?
Currently I’ll stick to what I’m pursuing. Maybe in future I can plough the money I’ve won to enhance my degree by pursuing my Masters.
What’s your attitude towards The Voice page 3 and would you pose in it?
I don’t have anything against Page 3 and I guess those who appear in it do that by choice. As for me I would never pose for Page 3. I’d rather stick to what I do best which is beauty pageants.
Tell us more about yourself?
I was born in Ramotswa in 1986 and I have two younger sisters, Shameelah and Isabella. My father is a businessman from Pitshane-Molopo and my mum who works in the FNB Property Division is from Ramotswa. I’m currently a student at Limkokwing University and I’m a big time fan of socializing. I enjoy having people around me all the time. Ignorant people tick me off while anything that gets me in a good mood turns me on.
What interests you about life?
The whole creation thing and God’s Divine plan intrigues me. The beauty, mystery and diversity of human beings is a study I find fascinating.
There’s a general perception that beauty queens think they are superior and a breed apart from mere mortals. What’s your take on this?
I think everything largely depends on who you are, where you come from and how you were raised. Personally I don’t subscribe to such an opinion. I’m not a snob and don’t think I’m better than others. I have never had such an attitude and have no intentions of developing one. If it ever happens that I get an over inflated ego during my reign as Miss Botswana, then there will be something seriously wrong with me.
They say you can tell a lot about a girl from the contents of her bag. So what’s in your bag?
I have a100ml Vaseline, which I can’t leave the house without. I have my purse with my bank cards and other shenanigans. I have my school notebook, sweater, newspaper, pen and my Nokia 6300 phone
Do you have any dating tips for guys?
Ha-ha! Let me just say whatever you do, don’t kiss her on a first date.
That’s a terrible move and guys keep getting it wrong. Keep some of the mystery for the second date.
Speaking of kisses and dates…are you seeing anyone at the moment?
Gosh! You want to get me in trouble with my family. Ha-ha! Yes, I’m currently involved, but don’t want to go into details. Let me just say that’s for you to find out.
Fair enough – so what qualities does a man need to secure a date with the most beautiful woman in the country?
Let me speak about my boyfriend. I guess he understands me better and that’s why we’re together. We’ve only been dating for a few months now. The man I’m with has to understand that I have so many duties to fulfill as Miss Botswana and he should always be willing to compromise. My boyfriend is the same colour and almost the same height as me. He’s also well mannered.
How does a beautiful woman keep men away from her?
It’s a matter of knowing how to communicate with people. I know that like a magnet I will attract men, but I don’t think it’s too big headed to say that I also know how to repel them.
What advice can you give to anyone who aspires to win Miss Botswana?
I always tell people that when you dream of something, you just have to put your mind to it. You will come across several stumbling blocks, but you just have to keep trying until you achieve your goal.
How do you keep fit?
Contrary to popular believe that when you eat a lot you are bound to double in size, I do eat a lot and I still have this sexy figure. Each time when I’m at home I dance a lot. I guess also doing household chores such as washing dishes keeps me fit.
What’s your attitude towards The Voice page 3 and would you pose in it?
I don’t have anything against Page 3 and I guess those who appear in it do that by choice. As for me I would never pose for Page 3. I’d rather stick to what I do best which is beauty pageants.
Any embarrassing moments to recall?
Ha-ha! Yeah! I once tripped whilst on stage during the Miss European Union Pageant in 2004. I thought I was going to fall in front of everyone, but I was able to regain my step and the show went on. I was amazed when I was announced the winner. It was a bitter-sweet moment.
Do you have any regrets in life?
I don’t have any regrets. So far life’s too good to have any regrets.
What’s the most hilarious thing you’ve ever heard?
There are so many things that always crack me up. I’m one person that enjoys laughing and I can always see the funny side of life.
What expectations should Batswana have about you during your reign as Miss Botswana 2009?
All I can say is that Batswana will see a lot of me as I intend to get my hands active in projects especially those tied to the NGOs.
What do you like about Botswana?
I love everything. Be it our diamonds, beauty or infrastructure. I also like the fact that Batswana are amongst the most understanding people in the world.
I just hope that this is not something that will change in the future.
What changes would you like to see in the Country?
As a student I would like to see the education system change. I would also like to see our local politics and politicians much more accommodating to its people especially the youth. In turn I feel that our people could be more proactive in getting politically involved.
If you were to sit on a table with President Ian Khama, what would you say to him?
I would pat him on the back for the good job he continues to do. I’m in total agreement with most of his policies particularly his abhorrence of alcohol abuse. I think he has a vision for the future, and plans on how to achieve it. I believe he has the interests of all his people at heart and he’s simply trying to help Batswana achieve their dreams.
What’s your ultimate dream?
I am determined to build my own business empire and own a thriving Advertising Company. I want to own a glass house as well as drive a 4.5 Land Cruiser and BMW 760 Li, plus have a lovely husband and three kids. Funnily enough I want my first child to be a boy!
Do you have any last words?
I’d like to thank everybody, especially my parents, for their support. I wouldn’t be where I am today if it wasn’t for them.

PERSONAL PROFILE

FULL NAMES: Sumaiyah Marope

NICKNAMES: Bobo or Somi

D.O.B: 17 September 1986

P.O.B: Bamalete Lutheran Hospital, Ramotswa

HOME VILLAGE: Ramotswa

CAREER: Currently studying BA in International Business (Limkokwing University)

HOBBIES: Socializing. I enjoy having people around me.

CURRENTLY READING: Memoirs of Geisha by Arthur Golden

FAV DISH: Nothing in particular as I love most food. I’m food’s biggest fan and everyday at school I devour Serobe ka magwinya.

FAV PIECE OF LINGERIE: Ha-ha! My pink underwear with my matching French knickers.
FAV SONG: ‘Wa Mpahela’ by Lira Molapo
HOLIDAY DESTINATION: Brazil and I want to go alone. Ha-ha! Locally I’d love to go to Kasane.
MOTTO: Live your dream.
ROLE MODEL: My younger sister; Shameelah. She’s always smiling at the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment