Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A FEW MINUTES WITH NOZIE-THE GO-GETTER


She is young and has accomplished what most can only dream about.
Nozie McVey was a chief executive officer at 18 where she ran her own travel and tourism company dubbed Youth Travel Tours (YTT).

After a solid six years in the trade she closed shop and ventured into yet another virgin territory where she started a business called Nozie Entertainment, an establishment which managed some of the country’s most accomplished artists.

Ten years down the line, word recently got to me that the petite 28-year-old has established Nozie Chic; a jewellery making enterprise based in the leafy surburb of Phakalane.

Being a typical newshound always wanting to break the news to the dynamic masses, I make a few calls around the city and bingo; I’m already connected to the hard-working young lady with the octopus’ hands.

Our meeting takes places at the ever-busy Café Portugal in Game City mall where the hustle and bustle of people going past the restaurant punctuates our chat.

In between calculated sips of our ice-cold sodas, Nozie takes me on an interesting trip down the ten years memory lane; an era when she braved all odds to become one of the country’s youngest entrepreneurs.

“I have always wanted to be self-employed. The idea of making my own money motivated me. I also wanted to be independent. However, at that time there were not many young people running their own businesses and many people told me I was mad,” she says.

There are signs of despair in her eyes as she tells the sad story that is common to many young people in Botswana.

She never got any funding for her business venture.

“I know what it’s like to have a door shut on your face. When I was running YTT, I had many challenges and after six years in the business I called it quits. I needed to try something new…and I had a few people who mentored me…always telling me to keep my head above the water,” she says.

Whilst trying to find the right footing an opportunity presented itself through a trip to the United States of America (USA) courtesy of the US Embassy.

This is where Nozie met her husband and the two were officially married on the beach in San Francisco.

“I was over the moon with joy. Being married on the beach has always been my dream and it did come true,” she says with a glint in her eye.

Next year February the couple celebrates three years of holy matrimony.

Lest we get carried away with the emotional marriage roller-coaster, I change the topic fast.

Back to her latest business venture.

After the YTT dream fell apart, she launched her own artists management company; Nozie Entertainment where she took care of seasoned crooners such as Kgotla and Skazzo.

Wanting a bigger challenge, Nozie then swayed the company into a different direction and she now supplies Botswana Television (BTV) with international programming.

She interrupts me just as I’m about to ask her to expand on this subject.

“This is a company which continues to grow thanks to the generous support of my husband. It is the one which made it easy for me to set up my latest jewellery business.”

Nozie says a lot of people misunderstand her, but adds that she cannot please everyone.

“I regret those years that I worked hard trying to please everyone in life. I no longer do that. It’s either you accept me the way I am or not.”
She goes for her bag and out comes three exquisite designs in the form of two hand-crafted necklaces and a pair of earrings.
“This is what keeps me sane nowadays. Mind you, I have always wanted to be in the fashion industry and when an opportunity presented itself in the form of a TV advertisement promoting jewellery beading I jumped at it,” she says with a chuckle in her smile.
“I bought the beading kit and did a few practices at home. After a few weeks I searched the internet and I came across a three-day jewellery beading course in South Africa which I wasted no time and attended.”
Right now, she is a happy woman as her pieces are already causing a roaring wave in most curio shops in Maun.
Another plus for her is the fact that all this hard work is made possible by her supportive husband who continues to dig further into his pocket for the venture to gain momentum.
Quizzed about her prices, Nozie says the pieces retail from as little as P400-P1000.
“My pieces include bracelets, necklaces, earrings and rings. However rings are only made through orders so that it varies from person to person. The rings are more personalized,” she says stretching out her left hand for me to admire the one wrapped around her finger.
Nozie says she draws inspiration from Mother Nature and at times a simple walk in the garden offers her an idea for a splendid product. Her products are hand-made, natural and can only be found in Botswana.
Nozie says so far the future does look bright as she already has orders until March next year mostly from the shops in the delta.
“While many people will be resting this festive season I’ll be working my butt off to meet my customers’ demands.”
However all is not glory due to a few challenges she comes across in her business.
The number one challenge Nozie explains is the sourcing of silver; her number one material in her jewellery pieces, from South Africa. She says normally it takes about a week for her orders to arrive.
Although most of her time is devoted towards giving the Botswana fashion industry something to shine about, Nozie also finds time to work with award-winning Hip-Hop artist; Zeus to launch the gifted musician’s clothing range dubbed ‘The Zeus Exclusive Collection.’
“The clothing line will certainly have a little bit of Zeus personality in it. We envisage launching it during the first quarter of 2011. Please look out for it and support yet another ‘Made in Botswana’ product,” she says.
Quizzed about where she sees herself in the next five years, the petite beauty says her life is unpredictable.
“Had you told me where I will be right now a few years ago, I would have told you are mad. I’m one person who likes to break the rules and I always like to think out of the box. Simply put; I like to be different.”
On the lessons learnt over the past ten years, Nozie explains that although it’s been a bumpy ride, she has learnt to be creative and to create her own opportunities against all odds.
“At one point I lost my confidence but right now I can confidently reveal I have managed to regain all of it. Let me advice aspiring entrepreneurs that you shouldn’t always take people’s advice but learn to listen to your intuition as well. Never listen to anyone saying your dreams are impossible but rather work hard at fulfilling them,” she says with a wide smile revealing a row of sparkling white teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment